[Konsole-devel] Remote host executing local functions?

Daneel O dkquwyt02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Aug 21 01:00:35 UTC 2005

Assume Local1 is telnetted or ssh'd into Remote1.  Can Remote1 send an
ESCape sequence or other instruction that will get interpreted by Konsole,
rather than the text rendering in the screen?  Examples of use include:
- User executes a command on Remote1 that prompts a launch of the browser
in Local1 to a chosen URL.
- Remote1 wants to update an activity log in Local1 so that the user can
later look back on activity without connecting back to the server.
- User wants to download a file from Remote1 so Remote1 sends back an
escape sequence to FTP the file.
- User wants to send mail from Localhost based on data stored in Remote1.
Remote1 sends the data and invokes a script in Local1 which mails the data
using local from/to/server data.
- User wants to edit text in Remote1 so Remote1 launches a KDE text editor
and passes it the text.  On Save, maybe Remote1 polls for the resulting
data and pulls it back.  Note request for desktop interaction.
- User is in Remote1 and wants help, so Remote1 fires up a KDE IRC client,
pointed to the proper server/channel.
- User wants data from Remote1 to print on a local printer - ESC the
printer on, stream the print job, ESC the printer off.

Of course this is a potential security issue.  Konsole may need to allow
the user to specify the remote server as a trusted entity, or allow a
command-line switch to allow/deny the functionality.  Some other Win32
emulators allow this functionality and many business applications rely on
it - but it doesn't seem to be available in Linux desktop emulators.

If the functionality isn't available, can someone recommend a quick hack to
the source that might permit it?  I don't know how to intercept and act on
ESC codes, nor do I know how to fire up another KDE app if I could
intercept such a sequence.

Thanks.