[Konsole-devel] How to disable konsole alternate screen switching; how to set TERM

Mario T. DeFazio Mario.DeFazio at morganstanley.com
Fri Sep 26 21:54:13 UTC 2003

I apologize if this question has been asked/answered before,
but I can assure you I have spent hours today searching my system docs,
Google, kde.org, and mailing list archives for an answer without success.

My system is Red Hat Linux 7.2 (fully up2dated) with KDE 2.2.2-9 and konsole 1.0.2

When using a curses-aware program like vi or less in a konsole window,
konsole (and xterm) saves the current window contents, and displays the output
of less or vi in an alternate screen buffer.  When the program exits,
konsole restores the saved window contents, thus "erasing" whatever less or more
had been displaying.

With xterm, this behavior can be disabled by setting the X resource
XTerm*VT100*titeInhibit to 'true'.

How can I disable this behavior for konsole?
I've tried setting konsole#titeInhibit as an X resource but it's useless.

On a related matter, is it possible to tell konsole to set $TERM
to something other than 'xterm'?
If konsole can't do alt screen inhibit on it's own, I guess my only option
is to create a custom terminfo database entry with the smcup/rmcup
(aka ti/te) strings removed.

Regards,
   Mario