[Konsole-devel] Re: change encoding

Mike Maxwell maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu
Tue Oct 28 21:10:31 UTC 2003

Waldo Bastian wrote:
> The following should do the trick:
> LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1 konsole

That works, but it seems to have two unfortunate side effects:

(1) I can no longer use xmodmap to bind ^B to do "backward-word".
Specifically, I bind ^B to 0xBA; since .inputrc has 'convert-meta on', this
becomes \e[5d, which is bound to backward-word, according to 'man readline'.
I'm not sure how I figured out how to do that on my own, but it works with
vanilla 'konsole'; it does not work if I set the LANG (or even just the
LC_CTYPE).  Could this be because 0xBA corresponds to something (the
'masculine ordinal', i.e. a superscripted 'o') in the ISO code set?

(2) 'less' now displays any(?) characters above 127 as hex digits, e.g. <83>
(and in reverse video).  I guess this is related to the fact that in vanilla
konsole (i.e. without the LANG= setting), 'less' already displayed the same
chars in some kind of ISO encoding, i.e. it was showing the "upper ascii"
chars already.  I'm not sure why, because I don't have a LESSCHARSET
environment variable set, nor do I have anything relevant in my .bashrc file
or the /etc/bashrc file.  If I use the -K parameter on 'less' to tell it to
use an alternative encoding, it reports that the Yoruba file I'm trying to
look at is probably binary, and am I sure I want to see it.  I am sure, and
tell it so, but it's a nuisance, and the upper ascii chars are still funny.

I'll experiment with one or two things to fix (1).  I'm not sure what to do
about (2).  At any rate, thanks for the tip--

    Mike Maxwell