[Konsole-devel] RE:how to emulate pressing 'new' button at cli?

Ridgeway, Alan Alan.Ridgeway at ca.com
Thu Jun 19 19:43:53 UTC 2003

Hi All

Back in November of 2002 (I know this because I searched the archives)
Christopher Barry asked a question to which I am also trying to find the answer.
Here is his post:

------------
Hello All,
	I would like to run putty from my winbox to ssh into server 'A', =
running a command there that opens a konsole, and then opens a new =
session in that same window for a list of other servers. The script to =
open the others should be trivial if I could simply figure out how to =
create a new session in the same window. I would also like to be able to =
rename the sessions via a script. What switches to konsole (if any) =
allows a new session in the same window, and what renames sessions?

Sorry if this is a basic question - I just could not find any info on =
it.
------------
I have a similar issue. I am running User Mode Linux. For each virtual machine I create,
it opens 6 XTerms. So 5 virtual machines will produce 30 XTerms. I switched the Xterm
to Konsole, but now I would like all 6 Xterms to open in the same window so I can manage a
machine per window. In fact it would be great to have the window contain the xterm I used to
start the script then plus the new 6 Xterms all in the same window.

The only response Christopher got was this
------------

> if I could simply figure out how to create a new session in the same window.
> I would also like to be able to rename the sessions via a script.

In theory  dcop $KONSOLE_DCOP konsole newSession
      and  dcop $KONSOLE_DCOP_SESSION renameSession foobar

But that seems to be broken in current CVS. Waldo?

Bye,
   Steve
I tried the above code snippet, but either by this it is still broken,
or I just did not understand how to use the code.

I am running Debian unstable, so I have KDE 3.1.2 and Konsole 1.2.2

Thanks
Alan Ridgeway