[Konsole-devel] Fwd: Back to xterm ?

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Jun 21 18:28:30 UTC 2002

Subject: Back to xterm ?
Date: Friday 21 June 2002 03:47 am
From: "Éric" Brunet <ebrunet at quatramaran.ens.fr>
To: kde-devel at kde.org

I have always loved xterm and its endless possiblities of configuration.
But when I installed kde 2.2.2, I made the switch to konsole. Of course,
as I need to type accentued letters (my firstname is Éric) and as I am
used to the old way of inputing letters, I had to write a personal
.keytab file, full of lines like:
	key I          +Alt +Shift -Control : "É"
	key I          +Alt -Shift -Control : "é"
This way, typing Meta-Shift-I gives "É". (For those of you who wonders,
the Meta key used to set the eighth bit of a byte. And in my locale
(iso-8859-1), the code for É is just the code for I plus 128.)
This emulate the behavior of xterm with the resources:
	XTerm*metaSendsEscape	: false
	XTerm*eightBitInput	: true
It worked very well with kde 2.2.2 but not with kde 3.0.0 (as shiped with
redhat 7.3).
With the same .keytab file, with kde 3.0.0, when I type Meta-Shift-I, I
get '<Esc>É'.
So I now that all the emacs lovers out there like to have the meta key
prefix an escape character, but, as far as I know, only emacs is using
this feature and, more importantly, as I have *explicitely* specified
what I want when I type Meta-Shift-I, I don't see why konsole decides to
add an escape character.
So, now, is there a way to turn this strange behaviour off, or should I
Brunet