[Konsole-devel] Re: konsole feature

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Tue Jun 4 18:33:11 UTC 2002

[Jonathan: This might be usefull for an "advanced" section in the konsole
handbook?]

On Tuesday 04 June 2002 01:28 am, Eduardo wrote:
> Hi,
> I am very happy with this sotware, but it could be more pretty if it has a
> "start section" which launch all sessions that I use (9 sessions with a
> name different each one, with 8 ssh and one local). I must repeat this all
> days when I start to use,  launch all, rename it, and launch ssh. In this
> "start section", I could define the numbers of sessions, theirs name, and a
> command to execute when the session is opened (ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in my
> case), would this a future feature? A hot key for new sessions would be
> nice too. Thanks for your excellent work.
> Best regards.

With KDE 3 this is already possible to a large extent. If you don't mind
writing a small script, try the following:

	KONSOLE=`dcopstart konsole`
	dcop $KONSOLE konsole
	dcop $KONSOLE session-1

You can now start a new session with e.g.
	dcop $KONSOLE konsole newSession su

ls $KDEDIR/share/apps/konsole/*.desktop gives you an overview of all available
session types. You can create new session types by making a new .desktop file
in that directory. You can also use the directory $KDEHOME/share/apps/konsole
for this.

You can also use dcop in the konsole window itself, try e.g.
	dcop $KONSOLE_DCOP
and
	dcop $KONSOLE_DCOP_SESSION

For example to rename the current session you can use:
	dcop $KONSOLE_DCOP_SESSION renameSession 'New Session Name'

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com