[Konsole-devel] What terminal type is konsole?

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Jul 22 17:28:19 UTC 2002

On Monday 22 July 2002 10:09 am, Steve wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I'm using Red Hat 7.3,  KDE 3.0, and Gnu emacs 21.1.
>
> Im trying to find the terminal type of konsole.
>
> When I run "echo $TERM" in konsole it tells me "xterm".
>
> I have reasons to believe that this is not correct as I get different
> terminal behaviour when I open a pure xterm window.

It is mostly xterm but xterm adds new options once in a while so xterm and
xterm may not be the same. In KDE 1.x we used to have our own terminal
definition but that gives problems when you do a remote login to a machine
that doesn't have KDE installed. OTOH most systems have an entry for xterm,
so that's what we use.

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com