[Konsole-devel] Re: Konsole

Stephan Binner Stephan.Binner at gmx.de
Thu Feb 28 17:15:10 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 26 February 2002 14:56, you wrote:

> First, I'd like to congratulate you and your team mates on the wonderful
> job on Konsole and KDE in general. I have been using Konsole as my sole
> command line access in KDE since it first came out (I believe KTerm was
> there before that, right?).

Konsole was AFAIK first released with KDE 1.1, it's predecessor was "kvt".

> One of the things I found that could make Konsole even greater is the
> ability to "split" windows, i.e. see multiple sessions in a single window,
> pretty much like Emacs, Vim, etc.

This should be easy with konsolepart and Konqueror if Konqueror would allow to
start more than one "Terminal Emulator". I don't know why it doesn't allow it.

> I have seen that the ability to drag a session "out of Konsole" is partially
> implemented for 3.1, but would I be able drag a session back into Konsole?

It is almost complete (child window will not have full functionality of main
window) and working (except of one bug). If you are interested, I could send
you the patches and a new class, some tester feedback would be really nice.

There is no "dragging" but a menu command, and you can reattach it: It's not
separated from Konsole: If you close main window, childs will be closed too.

> Anyway, I like your work and I am enjoying it on a daily basis. I just
> hope that the feature I talked about is planned (or will be planned)
> into some future version of KDE. Thanks you very much and thank your
> teammates on my behalf (feel free to forward this note to them).

They should be able to read it now. :-)

Bye,
   Steve