[Konsole-devel] Maintaining the Konsole project

Eran Heyman Eran.Heyman at ericom.com
Tue Dec 31 20:31:19 UTC 2002

Steve,

> It is my understanding that the current maintainer of the Konsole
> project is primarily dealing with other KDE projects.

To clarify, because the handbook says something other, we are talking
about
Waldo Bastian as maintainer? You suggest that this is bad for Konsole,
so
please tell us how Konsole as project is suffering from this situation.

meant is in case the maintainer of Konsole prefers to work on other KDE
projects then it will help KDE if that person will be able to do so.

> I would like to offer taking over the maintenance and development of
the
> Konsole project.

Is the first a precondition for the second? What do you want to
contribute?

precondition.

It would be at least uncommon to make an unknown person, who doesn't
seem to
have contributed to the program or KDE in general before, the maintainer
of
an existing program, which is far from being dead, within KDE project.

and resources of the current maintainer available for KDE and for him to
deal with projects that might be considered more important to KDE by
him, you and the other KDE leading developers.

> During the last 10 years I have written Terminal Emulation products
and
> have a lot of experience with such products in both Linux and UNIX
> Ericom Software Inc.

At first look you seem to do fine with your company and commercial
products.
How did your interest arise to contribute to a product under GNU General
Public License? I don't suppose that you want to add support for more
hosts
(not sure if this is wanted) and make it a competitor for your products.
;-)

products and therefore I do not have any intention to add support for
additional hosts to Konsole.

Linux and UNIX I am working with KDE and Konsole and I like it. I am
used to certain features of our Terminal Emulator which has
significantly more functionality in terms of cut and paste, keyboard
mapping, font support, scripting and so on. I do believe that I have
significant experience with Terminal Emulation and this can add a lot of
value to Konsole and as a result to many developers and system
administrators which are using Konsole on regular basis.

> Thank you and Happy New Year.

Same to you.

Bye,
   Steve