[Konsole-devel] Konsole Menubar layout

Kent C. Johnson kentyman at kentyman.com
Tue Aug 6 04:21:38 UTC 2002

Hello All,

I have some ideas/suggestions/requests for the Konsole Menubar.  I would like
to try to implement some of these suggestions, assuming they are not too out of
my league, and assuming y'all agree they are good changes.  This would be my
first contribution to KDE.

Here is what I think would be a more intuitive layout for the Konsole Menubar,
with justifications below.

LAYOUT:
=============================
Session ->
+ New ->
  + Shell
  + Linux Console
  + Midnight Commander
  + Root Console
  + Root Midnight Commander
  + Screen Session
+ ----
+ Close Session
+ ----
+ Quit

Edit ->
+ Paste
+ ----
+ Find in History...
+ Save History As...
+ ----
+ Clear History
+ Clear All Histories

Tools ->
+ Monitor for Activity
+ Monitor for Silence
+ ----
+ Send Input to All Sessions
+ Send Signal -> (unchanged)

Settings -> (unchanged)

Window ->
+ Rename Session
+ ----
+ Move Session Left
+ Move Session Right
+ ----
+ Shell
+ Shell No. 2
+ Shell No. 3
+ etc. (the rest of the sessions opened)

Help -> (unchanged)
=============================

JUSTIFICATIONS

1) Put all new session options under a New submenu in Session.  This would hold
   all of the options currently seen when pressing the New button on the
   Toolbar.  This would also get rid of the current inconsistancy, where "New
   Linux Console" starts with "New" but "Python" doesn't (and also doesn't read
   "Python Interpreter" like it should).
2) Move Send Signal to the new menu listed in 3).
3) Create a Tools menu instead of the View menu.  Have it hold the two Monitor
   items and the two Send items.  The items which did deal with views will be
   moved to the new menu listed in 4).
4) Create a Window menu to deal with the views of each session, to the right of
   the Settings menu.  This will hold the Rename Session item, the Move items,
   and the list of all sessions currently opened.  This could be kept in a menu
   called View (which should stay positioned to the right of Edit), but I
   suggest Window since this is usually the name of the menu holding all the
   different windows or sessions opened in an application.

I want to make sure I'm clear that I'm not demanding these need to be changed,
merely offering suggestions.  I can imagine there may be good reasons for the
current layout, but I'm also hoping my ideas can be of use.  What do y'all
think?

Also, if you do like the ideas but are against them 'cause they seem like a
pain to implement, lemme know, 'cause I would like to try to get my feet wet
helping KDE a bit.

Thanks for your time!

Kent C. Johnson