[SLE] Has The performance been forgotten?

Sid Boyce sboyce at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 13:08:34 CEST 2004

Bahram Alinezhad wrote:
> Thank you for your notice,
> I want to add some comments:
>
> 1- My Linux setup and boot are on default settings (In
> fact, I am not so foolish to add unused services to
> the boot progress!)
>
> 2- In Windows OSs, I've installed a few programs and
> updates, but I accept that its boot time becomes slow
> and slower when you install more programs, though, the
> worsts are those who add startup items.
>
> 3- In both Linuces, I've installed nVIDIA binary
> driver (61.06) that works well, better than Windows
> drivers; But this driver only affects 3d games, no
> considerable difference in other programs.
>
> 4- When I speak about the applications, I mean the
> time for invoke them, not the time for doing special
> tasks inside.
>
> 5- I became tired in trying install Gnome 2.6 on both
> SuSE 9.1 and RedHat 9.0; Generally, installed RPM
> packages prevent the detection of newer versions
> installed from source code; In addition, removing the
> old rpm ruins the system... Gnome 2.8?! I see only 2.6
> in the site!

SuSE has traditionally not paid attention to Gnome, so I expect when 9.2
arrives, we'll only get Gnome 2.6 with it, grudgingly. For that reason,
I don't try to upgrade gnome in SuSE. Building gnome from sources is a
full time job, even with garnome I've never had a successful build as
every version has different problems for different people. I used to
build KDE from sources very easily, but for some time the SuSE binaries
have been sound and where needed upgrading apps is easy. The big problem
with gnome is that if you install today and try an updated app tomorrow,
you'll see many dependency problems, fix those and you break other apps.

> 6- My intention is not hiding the great advantages of
> linux systems, such as: no need for restart, being
> open-source and many more; I wish its desktop would be
> faster.
>
> 7- The file system used here is ext3.
Preemptible kernels are getting there as far as responsiveness is
concerned, ext3 is slow compared to reiserfs and reiser4 will
dramatically increase that speed, my next HD will definitely be
formatted with reiserfs 4.

> 8- How much features do you think SuSE have that is
> worth putting your hand under your chin for several
> seconds after any click?
>
> 9- Is Mandrake Linux better in performance?
SuSE is made pretty generic for x86 hardware, so is not optimised for
any particular CPU, except for the kernels.
I can't say Mandrake is dramatically or very noticeably faster than
SuSE. Gentoo is faster as it is optimised for the hardware it's running
on, though a recent build, starting at stage 1 on an Athlon 700 256M box
took about 54 hours to build everything - only about 1 hour max keyboard
time.

Regards
Sid.

--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and keen Flyer
=====LINUX ONLY USED HERE=====