linking problems

Javier López Poncela poncela at tid.es
Wed Jan 7 09:12:31 CET 2004

What ar tool are you using?. You have to use the ar that appears in your
cross-binutils

I mean,

when a .a library file is generated, the Makefile uses a script called
libtool. Libtool uses the  stored information in a .la files (The .la files
are text files). Then libtool has to create a new library that contain
another libraries. for this purpose, libtool uses ar tool in order to get
the name of the object files that contain the libraries in the
subdirectories and add these object files to the new library that is being
generated. Some times the ar tool of the some architectures don't work
propertly and it omits last part of the name of some object files that a
library contains (the .o file extension), and then, these object files
aren't added to the new library. When you link the konqueror some functions
and classes don't appear and the link process fails.

For a quick test you can do this command in the
~/konqu-embed/kdesrc/kio/http/kcookiejar/.libs directory

$ ar t libkcookiejar.a

Check if all files have the correct extension (probably, the kcookieserver.o
appear like kcookieserver. and it is no good)

After, you can do this
$ /<arm binutils path>/ar t libkcookiejar.a

And i suppose that all files will appear with the .o extension

I don't remember if the libtool are regenereted when you export the AR
enviroment variable and you execute again the configure script.

You can test it changing the AR variable in the libtool file to the correct
value.

Poncela