Please answer!

Bahram Alinezhad alineziad at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 1 13:20:08 CET 2004

Hello,
version: Konqueror 3.1-12 using KDE 3.1-10 Red Hat 9.0

0- I know these bugs and problems for konqueror and I
am very sad! Why should it have such obvious bugs or
shortages after so many updates? Don't you have any
beta-tester or quality-feedback agent? How can you
compete with windows that has not such problems even
in very old versions (e.g. windows 95)?

1- When a file with all-uppercase letters (e.g.
README) is saved on a vfat file system, it is shown as
all-lowercase letters (i.e. readme); If this issue
relates linux kernel, you should report them
immediately as well as sending me a convincing answer.

2- You know that in konqueror, we can select a number
of files by drawing a rectangle around them; But by
drawing another rectangle around some of selected
files, we should able to remove them from the whole
selection; This is true for windows explorer but false
for konqueror.

3- The konqueror never remembers its window size; I
should maximize my home folder everytime I open it. I
expect at least one size be remembered for all future
sessions (This feature is included in GNOME's Nautilus
and you can look at that).

4- Also the sidebar size is not remembered.

5- As a very good feature, "reading tar archives as
folders" is added to konqueror, but a great shortage
still exists: if I want to create a new archive, I
have to use command line; It is highly preferred that
a context-menu-item be present for adding selected
files to a tar archive (and of-course, with
compression options).

6- Why such a treatment (reading tar archives as
folders) is not added for ZIP or RAR archives?
Already, when I open a RAR archive with konqueror, it
lists all sub-directories within, and it is very ugly
and slow!

7- In toolbar-configuration, Some buttons can not
really added to the toolbar (or can added, but are not
consistent); Examples are (Create New)"Directory" and
(Sort)"By Type".

8- There is an important, frequently-used action that
can not be added as a button to the toolbar, i.e.
"Properties".

9- Opening the konqueror is always slow, slower than
gnome-nautilus and much slower than windows-explorer!
(I have a 500 MHz processor with 256 MB RAM and 80 GB
Hard-Disk). Note that I say so, when "Show Previews"
is DISABLED.

10- MPEG files with .dat extension are recognized as
"unknown" and ISO images are recognized as plain-text
files!!! May be many other false format-recognitions?
This is a few more: Clone-CD-image .sub files as mp3,
Nero-image .nrg files as plain-text,
WindowsXP-pagefile as plain-text and .sys files as
mp3(!!!)

11- "Sort" is expected to be in the context menu, when
right-click over a white space inside a folder
(because frequently-used).

12- These keyboard-shortcuts are expected to be as
Primary or Alternate for these actions by default: F3
for Find and BackSpace for UP.

13- "Find" has two bad problems: First, It can not
skip searching mounted file systems (therefore,
becomes very slow), Secondly, It finds deleted files
and directories!!

Thank you for your notice,
Bahram Alinezhad,
Rudehen, Tehran, Iran.