Introduction, plus question about addons

Barry Kauler bkauler at goosee.com
Mon Sep 1 18:28:20 CEST 2003

Hi,
I've just joined the list, so this message is to introduce myself.

I'm developing a tiny Linux distro, called Puppy, that runs totally
in a ramdisk, either 48M or 64M. Puppy has a complete suite of
GUI apps, and the great thing about having everything always in
RAM is very fast startup and response.

The 48M version of Puppy, currently at v0.6 and on my website,
uses apps written only in plain C, and only the Athena and GTK
v1.2 libraries. The web browsers are Hacked Links and Dillo.

Then I worked on a bigger version running in a 64M ramdisk,
using Mozilla v0.9.8. The biggest advantage is the Composer
HTML editor, but the whole thing is very big and slow.

Then yesterday I downloaded Konq-e and got a very pleasant
surprise. Quite snappy performance, and small.
I'm impressed enough, that I think Konq-e will be my choice for
the "big" version of Puppy.
Having the Qt v2.3.1 libs also opens up other possibilities, and
I have also installed an older version of Scribus, a DeskTop Publishing
app. If Puppy interests you:

http://www.goosee.com/puppy

Now for my question:
I compiled without any trouble. Puppy uses X. Here are my options:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-printing --enable-ftp --enable-cgi --with-qt-includes=/usr/local/qt/include --with-qt-libraries=/usr/local/qt/lib --with-qt-dir=/usr/local/qt --with-javascript=dynamic

However, what puzzles me are those "addons". I'm interested in the Flash addon, and I have just
seen something about it in the FAQ, however I don't think that the --enable-add-ons option is listed
when I run "./configure --help".
Is this option still available?

The FAQ says to do "--enable-add-ons=kflashparts" but what about the others? ...just string them
with commas?
I don't even know what those others do. Can't see any docs that explain "ksimplesound"
and "kplaintext" and "ppdialup".

Regards,
Barry Kauler