Slow konqe on a PXA250

Daniel Stenberg konq-e@mail.kde.org
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:21:12 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Paul Chitescu wrote:

Thanks for all the interest and help. Here's some more details.

> Less RAM for me but it doesn't matter. Missing a swap if the system rans
> out of memory the kernel starts killing processes and the first candidates
> are the KIOs - easy to spot in the logfile.

I can easily see that isn't happening, I have plenty of ram left. I run
*only* the browser and almost nothing else.

> Yes, memory leaks big time but it's Javascript related. Normally there are
> few or no global objects on page. And it takes a while until oom_kill shows
> up.

Not using javascript here.

> > I've also produced a text file using 30 K text (the GPL license) and
> > displaying this here takes roughly 12-15 seconds.
>
> Wow! It takes for me about 2.5s when the text/plain is downloaded from a
> server and htmlized by a filter (implemented in sed) although the layout of
> <pre> should be easy.

My text has no <pre>, it has nothing at all, just text and the file is sent
as text/html.

> Try to place the media on a local storage so you can check if it's network
> or computing related.

I'll try, but as the tracing shows really fast network transfers I don't
think it'll be much different.

> See what's the BogoMips rating measured by the kernel at boot time.

I get almost 300 BogoMips shown.

> Maybe you also tell us what kernel, toolchain and jpeg library you use.

This was all tested on a Linux-2.4.17-mvl21 kernel (Montavista Linux 2.1),
I'm gonna have a go at linux-2.4.19-rmk2-pxa2 soonish.

I'm using gcc 2.95.3 (also from Montavisa 2.1).

I'm not sure which jpeg library it is, but as the timing is almost as bad
using GIFs I don't think it matters.

I think I have reason to believe that some things in my system isn't setup
properly and that makes my Linux run slower than it should.

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77