FYI: Konqueror/ipaq combo: Car information system

Oliver Fels konq-e@mail.kde.org
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:43:55 +0000

Hi all.

I finally got konqueror embedded and the ipaq working together as a mobile car
information system (which is not hard at all :-)

The trick ( at least for the german speakers) is to get a free account at
OPEL's C@r web portal, which is part of the Onstar information system.

C@r web is optimized for mobile devices- the navigation is realized through
large HTML buttons located on the small browser display, which can easily be
operated through your fingertips- if the ipaq is mounted in the car, no
stylus is needed.
Through personalization, route planning, weather information and street status
information as well as news can be easily accessed even while driving (which
is not recommended, of course).
For network access a standard mobile internet connection is required
(preferably through GPRS).

Interesting: OPEL sells the whole kit (ipaq 3850 with PPC 2002, Siemens S45
mobile phone, mounting accessories, adapters, etc). for 2000,- Euros- as
accessing the service is free and most of us already own a PDA and mobile
phone combo you can save most of that money.
Though OPEL recommends the 3850 and the S45, it perfectly runs on my 3630 with
konqueror as web browser and any mobile phone of course.
You will have to hide the location bar so that everything fits on the screen.

I have placed two screenshots for those interested at
http://handhelds.org/scap/port.1417.png
and
http://handhelds.org/scap/port.4453.png
They should be available for a few days.

Further information can be acquired at
http://www.onstar.de

Now I just have to look for a suitable (and cheap) way of mounting the ipaq in
the car.

And no, I am in no way affiliated with OnStar- I just like that service.
Who needs PocketIE when konqueror can do the job ?

Oliver