Kompare Download

Steve Dorland dorlands at mchsi.com
Sun Jul 16 22:05:51 UTC 2017

So, I've been looking for a folder/file/code comparison tool that I
don't have to spend an arm and a leg for and I found references to
Kompare on several web sites as viable alternative,
https://www.slant.co/options/4394/alternatives/~beyond-compare-alternatives
<https://www.slant.co/options/4394/alternatives/%7Ebeyond-compare-alternatives>.
Great, I'll check it out.  I click the link which sends me here,
https://www.kde.org/applications/development/kompare/. Ok, no download
link, I look around the page and see a link titled 'Kompare Homepage'.
If there's a download link anywhere, it will be there.  I click the
link, which sends me here, http://www.caffeinated.me.uk/kompare/. Ah, a
download section, but it states,
> If you have the KDE Software Development Kit (SDK, included with many
> distributions), you already have Kompare. Just look for it in your K
> Menu. If you don't find Kompare there, go ahead and get a fresh copy
> from the KDE project <http://www.kde.org>. Enjoy!
Ok, I don't have KDE SDK, nor do I want KDE, I just want Kompare, so I
click the link for the KDE project, which sends me here,
https://www.kde.org/.  But there is no download link, so I once again
start searching the page and then the site.  Surely the Products menu
will have a link to Kompare?  Nope, but I see a Development Tools link
and Kompare was listed under Development on the second site linked
above.  Clicking the Development Tools link sends me here,
https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tools, but there's no mention at
all on this page about Kompare.  Lots of other tools, but nothing about
Kompare.

So, I return to the kde.org home page and scrolling to the bottom I see
a link, KDE Applications, maybe Kompare it hiding there.  Click the link
and it takes me here, https://www.kde.org/applications/. Hmm, this look
vaguely familiar.

While I appreciate what you are trying to do I'm guessing that the
free/volunteer support is causing a bit of a lag between needing
something done and getting it done.  Or support and development for
Kompare has gone the way of the dodo.

The point of all this?  Is it still possible to get a download of
Kompare beyond the source code and compiling it myself?