Qt-only version of Kompare

Bud Millwood budmillwood at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 22:13:10 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 10:53 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> On Monday 12 December 2011, Jeff Snyder wrote:
>> Thanks for the I don't think there's a qt-only version at the moment,
>> but I've not done much with kompare for a while - you're better of
>> asking kompare-devel (cc'd)
>
> I don't understand this aversion to kdelibs. kdelibs apps work just fine in
> Xfce, or any other desktop environment, really.

I'm sure it does, and I'm definitely not trying to start up a
conversation with a FOSS developer and ride him around the room with a
KDE 4 rant - that would be low indeed. :)

But I think most people that have an opinion about a subject do this
to some degree; it's like a vote of no-confidence. I don't want to run
Wine because I've had enough issues with Windows to know I'm happier
without it. It's unfortunately the same with KDE these days. And I was
*in love* with KDE from version 1.

There's also the problem that most distros get overzealous on the
dependencies, and the worst offenders are the distros that are not
targeted at the particular DE whose libraries you need. IOW, it
wouldn't surprise me to see that XUbuntu wanted to install way more of
KDE than I want, simply because they have little experience with it.
OpenSuSE seemed to do this with Gnome programs.

> I have no plans to make a Qt-only version of Kompare or any other KDE Platform
> app I maintain.

Well to this end, if I find that I really can't live without it, would
you be averse to accepting patches that enabled a Qt-only version that
could be built directly from source for those of us no longer using
KDE? If not, I do, in fact, completely understand; it would require
that you maintain that separation. Another possibility would be for me
to fork it; I'm sure the code base is not complex by any standard.

- Bud