Reconciling moved text blocks

Shaheed Haque srhaque at theiet.org
Tue Jul 21 10:37:57 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I hope this is an interesting idea for kompare.

Most diff tools seem to operate on some sort of single-pass, windowed
philosphy, and so can spot the sorts of changes we know they can.
However, it is very common in my experience for a piece of text to be
moved within a file outside the window that the diff tool considers.
OTOH, a tool like kompare seems to represent the entire set o fchanges
in a pair of files (visually) in one go.

Would it be possible to add a "post-process" step to look for blocks
of text that have simply moved, and so appear like pairs of
additions/deletions?

Thanks, Shaheed