Windows 5.1.3 slow and crashes

Phil Richardson ppslim+kmymoney at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 17:20:30 BST 2022

With the recent download of KMyMoney 5.1.3 being made available, I finally
bit the bullet and attempted to move on up from 4.8.0.

Yeah, the attempt element is the unfortunate bit.

Whilst I am grateful to see a Windows build, the performance and stability
is not very good. The good news is I can run the old version side by side
(more thankfully on a different data set (older copy of my existing data)).
So do let me know what if anything you may need from me.

Some of the issues seen.

1: It doesn't contain any holiday data, so my schedules simply work Monday
to Friday and can't follow the "move to next working day rule".

2: Performing in startup is very slow, to the point I am not sure if it is
even doing something. I will see the splash screen as expected, it will
then go away, but it can be upto 15 seconds before the main window will
load.

3: Navigating between different primary views (Home, Institutions,
Accounts, Tags, Forecast...) has been slightly sluggish. The best
description I can give is it felt like being on hotel WiFi - it works, but
don't expect to get stuff done fast.

Just by comparison, when reverting back to 4.8.0, it was lightning quick by
comparison. Quick to start and navigate.

4: There is something wrong with the Forecasting function. Performance
takes an absolute nosedive if trying to use it, and that is regardless of
the settings used to apply forecasting in the plugin config.

At a couple of points, KMyMoney became unresponsive for 20 - 40 seconds,
and in one case never recovered and required I terminate the application,

5: The forecasting graph on the home page has random quality problems. One
moment it renders in full quality, other times it's very blocky, as if it's
consuming 100% of the same width/height, but with only 10% of the quality.

6: I have had outright crashes with KMyMoney simply stopping. No error,
just termination. I have not seen a pattern to this, though it has only
happened on three occasions so far.

Let me know if there is any detail you would want to assist with this
further.