Using Postgresql 10.19 with KMyMoney 5.08

paulf at quillandmouse.com paulf at quillandmouse.com
Thu Jan 20 22:49:13 GMT 2022

On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 16:11:36 -0500
Jack via KMyMoney <kmymoney at kde.org> wrote:

> Hello Dave,
>
> First, please understand that using a SQL back end for KMyMoney will
> NOT let two users access the database at the same time, or at least
> no without almost certain loss of date.  The reason is that KMM does
> not use the database in an active way.  Actions are just saved in
> memory, not committed to the database in "real time."  KMM slurps in
> the entire database when it starts (equivalent to reading a .kmy or
> .xml file) and when you execute a Save, it saves all the in memory
> data out to the database.  There is no way to allow concurrent
> access.  This might conceivably change in the future, but that's the
> way it is now.

I understand sucking a whole XML file in and committing changes when
the user tells the program to save. (Of course, this explains why I've
found KMM to be laggy.) But a SQL database? No one in their right mind
would abuse a SQL database that way. I've been coding SQL databases for
twenty years, and I've never seen such a thing done. It defeats the
whole purpose for SQL.

I haven't looked at KMM's code, but please tell me this is not really
the way KMM handles SQL databases.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster