segnala un bug

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 19 20:50:08 GMT 2020

On 2020.03.15 14:34, enzo.montanari at libero.it wrote:
> Hi everyone, thank you very much indeed for what you are doing for
> me. I confirm that the file is on local hard disk and I really have
> no idea of ​​other programs that may have modified it.
> Unfortunately I don't have back-up files and I use the "WINDOWS 10
> HOME" platform.
> Do you have any other hint?
> Thanks again
> Enzo

Hello Enzo,

The first thing I would do it to turn on automatic backups.   If you go
to the main Configure KMyMoney page, select the Global (first) tab, the
second section is "Autosave options."  Make sure the last item - number
of backups to keep is not 0.  I have it set to 10.  This means every
time you save the file, it moves the previous file by adding "1~" to
the end, and moves the old "1~" file to "2~" and so on.  If you save
often, that is enough, but if you might forget to save, you can tick
the checkbox above "Autosave when file is modified upon close."  Then,
every time you quit KMyMoney, look at the files to be sure they are
present and don't change size suddenly by very much.

This is also a place where there are many linux utilities which would
help be sure the saved files are valid.  One thing you might be able to
do is to open the folder where the files are in Windows Explorer.
Right click on one of the files and select "properties."  I'm not
certain, but it should probably tell you it is gzip compressed data.
If it does say this, then if all they bytes ever again become zeros, it
will probably say unknown or data, since the specific bytes that
indicate it is compressed are no longer present.

If, for example, you use enzo.kmy, and at some point, enzo.kmy is
invalid, you can try copying (keep all the original files until you are
sure you have a good copy) enzo.kmy.1~ to enzo2.kmy and then try
opening that file with KMyMoney.  If it works, then continue using it.
If if is bad, try with enzo.kmy.2~, and so on.

In terms of trying to find how the file got changed to all zero's, that
is very difficult.  What Thomas said, that it looks like a "wipe to
zero for security' feature, might be true if you are using any security
software, such as an anti-virus, which for some reason thought your kmy
file looked like a virus.  If you do use some security software, you
might try making it scan your kmy file, just to see if it has a
problem.  You can also look at any log of that program to see if it
thinks it cleaned up any virus or malware.  If it did, then you need to
report it to wherever you got that software.  However, that doesn't
seem very likely, so the best you can do is just to keep backups.