Investment accounts and balance sheet

José Ramón Muñoz Pekkarinen koalinux at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 16:13:51 BST 2020

    Hi Kmymoney team,

    TL;DR would it be possible to support ranges in
account balances report as in networth report?

    Thanks for all the effort put in this awesome tool
that has been helping me a lot as I became an private
trader, and I hope it to keep helping me for long.

    I recently started recording investments in the
tool and I noticed my balance sheets were mismatching
for no evident reason, and I wanted to share the case.

    As I'm regularly required to share accounts balances
per year, and kmymoney seems not to have ranges
support in accounts balances report, I use the net worth
report for balance sheet instead. However, when
introducing investments record, the networth report
will increase/decrease the price of the share with
the last received, which, for networth perspective
seems right, you didn't sell the shares, but you have
a share that now is worth differently, but from balance
perspective as you still didn't sell, the balance should
keep the price it was at the time of buying, so if you
have 10000€ invested and you only buy, the balance
would ever be higher than 10000€, when you sell,
it can be higher or lower depending on the change of
price of the share at the time of selling. I attach a simple
example to reflect this for your perusal.

    Thanks!

    José Pekkarinen.