switching between 4.8.0 and 5.0.6

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 21 16:25:25 GMT 2020

On 2020.01.21 10:11, Scott Lair wrote:
> I would like to use version 4.8.0 under linux and 5.0.6 under
> windows. Do you see any problem with that? I would be accessing the
> files on a samba share in windows and linux. Opening files, adding
> transactions, saving etc under each.  I have been using 4.8.3 under
> windows for some time and would like to make the jump to the new
> version under windows but keep the older linux version.  I've done
> some limited testing that was successful, but thought I'd ask the
> experts before I go all in.

Hello Scott,

In general, switching between versions is OK, but not always.  For
example, using 5.0.6 and 5.0.8 should be fine, since no changes were
made to the format of the data file.  Between 4.8 and 5.0, it is less
certain.  If you make a backup of your file, you can certainly try it,
and then go back to the backup if it doesn't work.  The one thing I can
think of that is most likely to be different is something about the
mapping of an account to an online account.  One of the internal
parameters which says which type of online connection is used was
changed.  If you switch between versions with different settings for
that, then you simply wont be able to do an online update without
unmapping and remapping the account - but you would then need to do
that every time you switched versions.  I don't remember exactly when
that change was introduce to the 4.8 series.

However, I'm curious why you want to stick with 4.8?  If 5.0.6 is
working for you under Windows, then why not use that version on both.
I'm not even sure where you would get 4.8 for linux without compiling
it yourself.  I would make an extra backup copy of your file before
that switch, but I don't know of any likely problems.  In fact, you
might just go to 5.0.8, which has a few more bug fixes.