matching transactions

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Fri Feb 28 18:45:56 GMT 2020

On Freitag, 28. Februar 2020 18:38:52 CET Jack wrote:

> On 2020.02.28 03:29, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> > > >
> >> I have my scheduled transactions set to not enter automatically, and
> >> I generally adjust the amount for the current value when I do enter
> >> it, so it does match.  You can also change the amount after both
> >> transactions are entered/downloaded and then match them manually.
> >> However, I don't think the end result would be much different from
> >> deleting the scheduled transaction once the bank transaction has
> >> been imported.
> >
> > It might make a difference when the scheduled transaction contains
> > splits (assignments to multiple categories).
> >
> > KMyMoney should be able to cope with varying amounts during the match
> > operation. I know that my phone bill has varying amounts and it
> > matches perfectly well every month. One requirement for that to work
> > is that you mark the option "Amount is an estimate because it varies
> > for each payment" for the schedule.
> I've actually always wondered what the practical effect of this option
> was for, since if you manually add the transaction, you have to make
> the change in amount yourself.
> >
> > The trick might be to not enter the scheduled transaction (manually
> > or automatically) but let the import do it (not sure if that is
> > documented). In case no match was found in the ledger of the account
> > during the imported, KMyMoney searches for (over-) due schedules and
> > if one of them matches it enters it directly while performing the
> > match.
> So my new understanding is that if this option is checked, and the
> import finds the (over)due  scheduled transaction, it will add the
> transaction and match it to the amount of the imported transaction.  If
> you manually add the scheduled transaction prior to the import, it will
> fail to match because the amounts are different.  If that is the case,
> then I can certainly improve the description in the handbook.

I can certainly verify that (a few transactions are ahead during the beginning of the month.

The spread of unverified or deliberately falsified information from
gutter-level sources in the wake of crises, aided by venues like Google
and Twitter, has become a real problem with real consequences. -- Tom McKay