More pdf2kmymoney

Jochen Schmidt jochen at r-ci.de
Wed Dec 30 19:45:19 GMT 2020

Am 30.12.2020 um 12:22 schrieb Aaron Mehl:
> I need a little help,
> I tried the different ideas for moving pdf to kmymoney.
>
> Okular - I used the table select, but couldn't figure out how to export
> csv. Plus I want something more automatic, if possible

not automatic, but: Select table in Okular, add vertical delimiters by
clicking on the top border. Then just type Ctr-C.

Change to a spreadsheet application (i.e. Libreoffice Calc) and type Ctrl-V
in an empty table. You are asked for formatting details, just accepting the
defaults does work in most cases.

> pdftotext - produced a nice text file, but since the columns were
> separated, by commas and the dates also use commas I need to get the
> columns separated by tabs? Also I found that in the final text file there
> was extra rows that was overflow from the same column but the row above.

You can use awk to output it to useful format. Years ago I wrote a perl
script to refomat such files according to a config file.

> I am writing directions for users with that get their bank statements as
> pdfs. I am assuming low tech users as my base line. These are people who
> I gather wouldn't know regular expressions etc.
> Also once my text file is in the correct format is there an automatic way
> to turn it into csv?
>
> If anyone can float a few ideas of how to clean up these files, I would
> most appreciateĀ  it,

You have to help them by providing a suitable script (awk / perl  whatever)
to get this done.