VirtualBox & Windows

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Feb 4 20:02:45 GMT 2019

On 2019.02.04 14:38, Joe Harrington wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience and/or comments on running kmymoney
> in a VirtualBox on a Windows Host?
>
> Joe Harrington
It should certainly work, but remember, you would need to install some
OS (Kubuntu Linux for example, but choice might depend on whether you
want to always have the most recent release, or are ok with one or two
versions older) and keep it maintained.  If the host hardware is
sufficiently robust, then performance should not be a problem.  If you
plan on compiling yourself, then particular distro is less of an
issue.  I haven't done it in quite a while, since I switched my laptop
from Windows to Linux as the host.  I do have VirtualBox with a Windows
guest, but only for the few programs I still need that are not
available on Linux.

However, I would ask why you want to do this, as opposed to finding a
version which runs natively under Windows.  While the officially
released version of KMM for Windows is still 4.8 (see the link in the
upper right of the home page (https://kmymoney.org/) the links below
that for "Preview versions" are nightly builds from git master.  You
may not want to keep up with the bleeding edge of development, but if
you find a version that works, you can just keep using that until you
have some reason to change.  If you keep the original exe you download,
then you can easily revert to an earlier version if you do run into a
bug.

Another option might be cygwin (https://cygwin.org).  I suppose the
maintenance required is similar to an OS in a VirtualBox, but other
than staring X before running KMM, I feel (personal opinion) there is
less overhead.  It looks like the most recent version they have is
5.0.1, but they have been generally receptive to polite upgrade
requests.

If you have some particular reason for this approach, you might get
further responses more directly aimed at your concerns.