account undeletable

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 18 15:08:08 UTC 2018

On 2018.06.18 10:54, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> Hi
>
> There is now an account in my list called z-undeletable. We did not
> put it there.  There are no transactions in the ledger.  Any idea
> what this is and how to get rid of it?
>
> This file was originally created on my ubuntu 16 laptop and then
> transferred to a Windows 10 computer.  I doubt that has anything to
> do with it but reporting it just in case.
>
> thanks for any assistance
Hi Gary,

My first question is whether the program won't allow you to delete it,
or if that is just in the name?

An account cannot be deleted if there is anything else in the file
referring to it.  Aside from transactions, it could be referred to in a
Schedule, for example.  Also, are you sure there are no transactions
which are just not being shown due to a date filter?  You might try a
report by transactions, showing All Dates, to check that.

The next method would be to look at the data file directly.  If it is a
.kmy file, you can copy it (don't use the original) to file.xml.gz and
then gunzip it.  Then search (grep or your favorite tool) for a line
with z-undeletable.  There should be a line starting with <ACCOUNT.  On
that line, find the field id="Annnnnn" and then search for that
identifier in the file.  Hopefully any lines which show up should
indicate what type of entry still exists and needs to be deleted before
you can delete the account.