Kmymoney crashes when trying to create a new account

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Fri Jun 15 08:20:14 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Donnerstag, 7. Juni 2018 21:31:22 CEST Mark Adams wrote:

> Mageia Linux 4.14.40-desktop-1.mga6
> Kmymoney ver. 5
>
> Tried to create another credit card account today and when I hit the
> "Finish" button, Kmymoney crashed. Reopened Kmymoney and a the account had
> not been created.
>
> I repeated that process two more times with the same result.
>
> Attempted to create a regular Asset account and had the same result.
>
> My first inclination is to look at permissions. The ~/.configure/kmymoney
> directory looks like this:
>

>      drwxrwxr-x  3 madams madams  4096 Jun  7 13:16 kmymoney
>

> The subdirectories under that look like this:
>

>      -rw------- 1 madams madams   73 May 13 17:58 checkprintingrc
>      drwxrwxr-x 2 madams madams 4096 Jun  7 13:08 html/
>      -rw------- 1 madams madams 8109 Jun  7 13:16 kmymoneyrc
>

> I am doing all this under the madams account.
>
> I ran kmymoneyrc through the "less" command and it seems to be okay - no
> obvious trouble there.
> I can create and edit budgets with no trouble.
> I can edit my scheduled transactions.
>
> Any idea how I can troubleshoot this?

Can you run this inside a debugger and provide a so called backtrace? Here's howto do that inside a console window:

  % gdb kmymoney
  [ ... some stuff printed which is not important here ... ]
  (gdb) run
  [ ... the stuff that is printed to the console is visible here ...]

Now use KMyMoney until it crashes. Your console window should now show a gdb prompt again. The following command creates the backtrace (bt for short):

  (gdb) bt
  [ ... this output is important to us ... ]

If the output is long, gdb stops after a page with the following message

  ---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---

Hit Return to get more output until the gdb prompt "(gdb)" shows up again. All those lines that were printed between the "bt" command and the final gdb prompt are important to us.

Hope that is not too confusing. Maybe, you need to install the gdb debugger on your system before you can do that. Also, it helps if you have any symbol packages for KMyMoney installed (if those exist for your distro).

In case anything is unclear, please ask here on the list.

https://www.telegram.org/       Telegram, the better WhatsApp
On Windoze it helps to reboot, on UNIX it helps to be root!