accrued expenses

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Fri Jul 13 10:01:59 BST 2018

Gary,

first, please create a new message and don't just reply to an existing message and change the subject (thread jacking).

On Freitag, 13. Juli 2018 08:08:00 CEST Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

> Sometimes we pay a bill for a service to be performed in a future month,
> eg, airline tickets.  Say we pay for an airline ticket in December and use
> it in May.  We want the expense to show up in the month of May.  So we
> created an account called Payables and Receivables (P and R).  We show the
> credit card payment as a transfer to the P&R account and create a
> corresponding line item in the PR account with the apprpriate category and
> the date we want the expense to appear.
>
> We use a Report by Payee to reconcile the R&P account - the balance for
> each Payee should always be zero, and the total balance should always be
> zero..  Sometimes it is not.  The problem is that when I run a report by
> payee, the payee names for line items representing transfers do not appear,
> making it impossible for me to figure out where the error is in the P&R
> account.
>
> Is there another way I should use to reconcile the R&P account??

Hmm, I doubt that this can easily be done with the current reporting engine. What it needs is a switch 'include transfers' as we have with the networth reports, but these won't help you here.

F-E-A-R has two meanings: 'Forget Everything And Run' or
'Face Everything And Rise'. The choice is yours -- Zig Ziglar