transaction matching date entered vs cleared

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Mar 18 16:04:57 UTC 2017

Hello Scott,

On 2017.03.18 10:59, Scott Lair wrote:
> I am entering checks manually, then downloading transaction from a
> bank to get debit card transactions etc.  When I accept matched
> transactions kmymoney changes the date to the cleared date instead of
> leaving the date as it was entered. Is there a way to change this
> behavior and leave the date as it was entered. I believe the correct
> date would be the date the check was written, not when it cleared the
> bank.

This is a known issue, and what is "correct" is a matter of opinion,
depending on how you choose to use KMyMoney.  I also personally prefer
to use the date written instead of date cleared, but that means your
balance does not always match what the bank thinks your balance is.
Unfortunately, when matching a imported and a  manually entered
transaction, the imported date is given preference.  In some cases,
what I have done it so include the date written in the memo, and allow
the cleared date to be used.  It is a similar issue with transaction
date vs posted date for credit card transactions.

I suppose you could file a wish list item at bugs.kde.org to request
that this be a configurable option (I don't think there is already such
a request, but I am not certain) but it will likely be a rather low
priority, as all current developer efforts are going toward completing
the migration to KDE Frameworks.