[Kmymoney] Is anyone using OFX with a Chase credit card

Ryan Novosielski ryan at novosielski.com
Sat Jan 30 18:03:53 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016, at 12:55 PM, Jack wrote:
> On 2016.01.30 12:09, Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> >> Not much later, 11/25. It was working up till then for me anyway.
> >> I'm seeing the same thing right now. I've contacted Chase.
> >
> > Any news from anyone on this? My contact resulted in them asking me
> > to phone in, which I've not yet gotten around to (or heard was
> > particularly helpful).
>
> Sorry, I guess all the further discussion about this has been on the
> developers list.
>
> The bottom line is that Chase started using a specific feature of the
> OFX standard that libofx does not yet deal with, at least as it is used
> by KMyMoney.  There have been some patches created which do allow it to
> work, but I don't remember if they have been sent upstream to libofx,
> so I doubt they will be in a released version of KMM for a while.

Well, at least there is hope for the future. I guess KMM changes will be
necessary even if libofx is updated?

> There seem to be two alternatives in the meantime.
>
> You can use the aqbanking download instead of libofx.  I have been
> using that for a little while.  However, I have two issues with it.
> First, I have not discovered how to have it save the password, so I
> have to enter it every time I download.  Second, I have also not
> discovered how to have it import the Memo field, so if it's a payee
> that has not already been matched to a KMM payee, it doesn't assign a
> payee or category, and I have to refer to my statement or the Chase web
> site to figure out what that transaction was actually for.

I'll have to try this. If you have any notes, I'd appreciate it, or is
it just self-explanatory?

> The other way is to use the OFX web-connect.  To do that, you have to
> log into the Chase web site, and click the "activity" link.  That
> displays the activity since your last statement.  There is a dropdown
> to choose a previous statement.  Then, near the top of that display, is
> a link for "download" which downloads an OFX file of the displayed
> transactions.  If you configure your browser for that MIME-type to be
> automatically opened by KMM (and it works whether or not KMM is already
> running) then KMM will automatically import that file.

This is what I've been doing, but it's obviously time-consuming if you
have more than one Chase credit card like I do. I already have to do
this for Barclaycard (unless someone here can tell me a way to work with
them otherwise) and my own bank (which uses something called
"secureinternetbank.com"), so it's gotten to be a drag doing this. No
fault of you folks, obviously, and
I love using the software. Would just be nice to make it less
labor-intensive.

> If you try either one and have problems, just post back and let us
> know.  (Also let us know if it does work.)

The latter definitely works for just about any bank, though since my own
bank's switch to a different online banking provider, all of my debit
card transactions seem to have PURCHASE in the PAYEE field, which makes
it impossible to properly categorize. The memo field seems OK.

Thanks for such a quick and informative response!

--
  Ryan Novosielski
  ryan at novosielski.com