Is it possible to supply pre-filled Category during CSV import to a new account?

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 14:09:35 UTC 2016

On 08/12/16 06:26, Peter J. Farley III wrote:
> In kMyMoney 4.7.2 or 4.8.0 on a Win7-64 system, is it possible to
> supply pre-filled Category values during CSV import to a brand new
> account?
>
> I cloned a copy of the kMyMoney source from the git repository and
> took a look at the CSV import functions, and it appears to me that the
> code only supports using pre-existing Category values associated with
> pre-existing Payees to determine the Category.
>
> The CSV file I want to import contains almost three years of
> transactions with 132 distinct Payees (post-processed after download
> for Payee and Memo consistency; banks are horrible at consistency).
> If I am willing and able to pre-fill my CSV transaction file with
> kMyMoney Category values for each transaction (gleaned from a *.kmt
> file export), would it be possible to use those values instead of the
> heuristics now in place to try to discover one?
>
> I tried to figure out how to support my own request by seeing what
> changes to the CSV import code it would take, but C and other
> sequential procedure languages are my forte, not C++.  Classes and
> method invocations are still strange territory for me, and thus
> somewhat difficult for me to decipher.
>
> I *think* all that is needed is to update the CSV file import column
> selection logic (and window) to add a new input field for a Category
> column, and if one is supplied then use the value from that CSV column
> (probably with some validation logic to ensure it is an existing
> active Category) instead of using the existing search logic, but I got
> lost trying to figure out how to do all that.
>
> TIA for your help and any advice you may have to offer.
>
> Peter
> --

Hi Peter

There is already a category field in the CSV importer.  It was not there
initially, but was added some while ago.

If you are reasonably adept with the C language, then it's not a huge
step to C++.
I'm the first to admit that my skill level is way below that of the
developers, and will remain so, but I gradually got the hang of C++, to
develop the CSV importer.  Go for it!

Allan