Is there a way to undo merging a transaction with a wrongly assigned scheduled transaction?

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 12 22:33:35 UTC 2016

On 2016.04.12 17:27, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I started using the scheduled transaction feature to predict cash
> flow on my
> accounts recently.
>
> On updating my online accounts KMyMoney then asks about whether it
> should
> input a scheduled transaction, i.e. actually merge it with one it got
> from the
> bank. I say yes. Then I find out KMyMoney misassigned the scheduled
> transaction to a completely unrelated transaction.
>
> Is there a way to undo this? Right now I manually edited the
> transaction. But
> its the real transaction is actually a transfer from one account to
> another
> but KMyMoney changed in into a charge due to the scheduled
> transaction I canĀ“t
> even change it back to a transfer as that is greyed out.
>
> Right now that feature causes me more issues than it solved.
>
> I already think on always saying no and manually skip the scheduled
> transaction. Or to get rid of them. That said, I removed the
> descriptions from
> most scheduled transaction cause otherwise it enters the same name
> description
> again, with the wrong month as many scheduled transaction have a date
> or month
> in the description. Still if one transaction is a transfer from one
> account to
> another how does KMyMoney come to assume that it could be a charge
> from my
> phone/internet access provider instead? Thats so completely off that
> it
> puzzles me. Only thing is the amount that is roughly similar.

I can't explain why a transaction you expect to be a transfer is
sometimes imported or merged as a charge.  I sometimes see that
myself.  Note that it doesn't seem so strange if you remember that for
KMM, all payees are treated behind the scenes as just another account.
Money comes in or out of your account and then out of or into another
account, which can either be a payee or another of your own accounts.

So, it IS possible to switch a transaction between them.  Note that a
transfer cannot specify a category, so if a transaction is a
charge/withdrawal, you need to remove the category before you can
change it to a transfer.  Going the other way, you need to remove the
transfer to/from account before you can change from a transfer to a
deposit/withdrawal.