[Kmymoney] How should a spinoff be booked

Jack ostroffjh at frontier.com
Fri Oct 16 14:59:41 UTC 2015

On 2015.10.15 20:17, Thomas Spuhler wrote:
> JSU did a spinoff to Lumentum. How should this be booked. There is no
> option for spinoff

Thomas,

That depends on what has happened in terms of shares.  If they simply
gave you some shares in the new company, the "Add shares" should work.
If they traded some shares in the old company for some new shares, then
"Remove shares" and "Add shares."   If you don't think those will work
for you, then please provide more details.

The only potential issue I see if whether or not the new shares
actually have a zero cost basis or not.   I would expect that, so the
above would work.  If for some reason that is not the case, then
perhaps a combination of selling old shares and buying new would work.