[Kmymoney] [kde-doc-english] Investment Transactions

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 13 16:58:08 UTC 2015

On 2015.03.13 08:44, Richard Driscoll wrote:
> The handbook says:-
>
> "For buy, sell, and cash dividend transactions, the number of shares,
> the price per share, and the total amount of the transaction must be
> established. You can enter any two of these, and KMyMoney will
> calculate the third. It's usually best to enter just the total amount
> and the number of shares, because these are the known facts of the
> transaction. The price per share can be calculated from these."
>
> However on my version KMyMoney 4.6.6 I can only enter quantity and
> price. I can't enter value; it is always calculated for me. This is
> same for both in-line data entry and for the transaction form.
>
> I don't know if the error is in the handbook or the application but
> there is an inconsistency here.
>
> Many thanks,
> Richard Driscoll

This list is for the folks who write documentation in English.  I am
ccing the KMyMoney Users List
(https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kmymoney) for any follow-up.

If you edit the investment account, on the General tab, near the bottom
right is a drop-down for "Price entry."  Here you can select whether
you enter total price or price per share.  Also, when you create a new
security, you get the same choice for Price entry on the Investment
details screen.  I'm not sure which one takes priority, and I don't
know if you can actually set the program-wide default.  If you select
to enter total price, when you create a buy shares transaction, the
field is labelled "Price" for the total price.  When you save the
transaction, that field changes to display the Price per share, and the
total prices is shown below.

I'll add this to my list to improve the wording of the handbook, and to
include a pointer to where you actually set which one you want to
enter.  Since it is likely that once you chose your preferred entry
method, you will always stick with it, I think it is OK that you have
to make this choice once, and do not get to choose for each transaction.