[Kmymoney] Stock Transfer

Nico Kruber nico.kruber at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 22:07:23 UTC 2015

On Thursday 19 Feb 2015 18:58:59 Jack wrote:
> On 2015.02.19 06:17, aga wrote:

> >> the downside of this though is that in reports, e.g. "Investment
> >> performancy by type", now both securities show up separately and the
> >> added ones have a 0 values for buys and thus the calculations are
> >> wrong -> is there any way to merge these stats?
> >>
> >> The only workaround I can think of is instead of using "add/remove"
> >> to add fake entries for "sell/buy" with e.g. the price at the time
> >> of the transfer...
> >
> > Unless I am misunderstanding, it is possible to transfer shares from
> > one account to another, and I have just done it.
> >
> > It works for multiple transfers, but only for the same activity type,
> > so you may need more than one pass.  Just highlight a bunch of like
> > shares, right click and select the account to receive them.  You will
> > need to have enabled 'Show equity accounts' -
> > Configure/General/Filter.
>
> Allan,
>
> I don't think this does what is being asked for.  In the ledger view,
> there are no shares to highlight, only transactions which
> added/bought/sold/... those shares.  If I select one or more "buy
> shares" transaction, then I can transfer those transactions to a
> different account.  (I wonder if the brokerage side of the transaction
> also moves to the brokerage account associated with the receiving
> account - I have not tested.)  I also don't see any restriction to
> select like transactions or like equity for the selected transactions.
> However, this is not the desired action of transferring the shares
> themselves to a different account.  The only way this action could help
> is to "sell" the desired number of shares, duplicate that sell, convert
> it to a buy, and then move the buy to the other account.  Then you also
> have to assure that the buy and sell both reference the same brokerage
> account.
>
> If this isn't what you are suggestion, please clarify.

I'd be fine with the "remove+add shares" action - actually, I'd prefer that
over a fake sell/buy transaction. I do like the generated reports, including
the "return on investment" and "annualised return". By using sell/buy
transactions, it is like having a cut at that date with intermediate
statistics and starting from scratch then. I'd prefer having the total stats.

So maybe there is (or should be) an option to merge the equities in the
reports? Afaik there is none so far.

However, I just checked what happens when equity accounts are closed: there
are not shown in reports.
-> So ultimately, I believe if there was a "transfer stock" activity, we could
also transfer the statistics and thus keep useful reports...

Nico