[Kmymoney] SQL debug

Phil Richardson ppslim+kmymoney at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 14:25:36 UTC 2015

I am currently on kmymoney 4.6.6. Although an older build, I have explored
what has been done in the code areas that could impact what I describe.

I do intend to update, but this requires a few other operating systems to
be updated first (Ubuntu deps issue), but I don't see anything at the code
side that would indicate such an advantage that I should hold out on
providing this detail.

I am currently trying to explore the startup sequence and timings when
using kmymoney with a MySQL server.

I operate with a Windows 7 box, which has been provided ethernet and
wireless connectivity on the LAN the MySQL box is on.

Startup over Ethernet is pretty good, but still excessive. Wifi much
slower, but I recognise the latency issue here.

For Ubuntu machines (12.04), I am over a OpenVPN connection.

For one, there is a shed load of MySQL data in the startup seq. Looking at
the code, there are plenty of calls. Looking at the SELECTS that occur, the
are lot redundant operations.

Latency of the VPN is mainly 0.02s, with a small scatting upto 0.05s and
very few upto 0.07s and a single at 0.25s. Throughput is 32mb/s solid, and
is actually better than using WiFi locally to the SQL server.

When I start kmymoney, I see the progress bar signalling that the budgets
are loaded, reporting 100%, but it then sticks in that status.

I can see from mymoney/storage/mymoneystoragesql.cpp that the load order
means that after the readBudgets is complete and the last modification time
is set, the status bar is meant to return to normal through the
signalProcess call.

However, the load budgets operations sits at 100% for a very long time,
before progress is cleared.

For ref. I have no budgets, the table is empty.
mysql> SELECT * FROM kmmBudgetConfig;
Empty set (0.00 sec)

Overall, I am trying to debug the slower than expected speeds. Although
this is a large operation, this should be operating much faster than it is.

Are there any other recommendations for debugging SQL speeds?