[Kmymoney] Is anyone using OFX with a Chase credit card

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 10 00:16:25 UTC 2015

On 2015.12.09 19:05, Jeff Barlow wrote:
> On 12/09/2015 03:54 PM, Jack wrote:
>> I've been using KMyMoney to download my Chase credit card
>> transactions
>> for several years.  However, they recently made some change "to
>> improve
>> security" and now it no longer works.  Whether just trying to update
>> the
>> account, or trying to re-map it after unmapping, the error says to go
>> the Chase secure message center for a message about how to confirm my
>> identity.  The problem is that message has never arrived.  I finally
>> spoke with someone in tech support who basically said I should just
>> wait
>> a week and try again.  They seem to know they have some problem, but
>> not
>> how to fix it.  And, since I'm using "unsupported" software, there is
>> nothing they can (or will) do.
>>
>> Is there anyone who has successfully downloaded transactions for a
>> Chase
>> credit card since they made this change (11/17/15, I think)?
>
> I've had exactly the same experience. Chase is either clueless or
> just doesn't care. I've resorted to logging in to their web site,
> downloading the OFX file, and then importing it into KMyMoney. I'm
> thinking it's time to get a new Visa card from elsewhere.

Well, I've done some more googling, and I think I may have found the
issue (other than that the first and second line support at Chase are
all willfully clueless.)  Take a look at
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Setting_up_OFXDirectConnect_in_GnuCash_2#Chase_.22username_or_password_are_incorrect.22
which indicates the need for using a UID (user id) within the OFX
request.  First, this requires you use header 103 instead of 102, so
you absolutely need to unmap and then remap the account.  However, I
don't see any place to enter the UID in either KMM or libOFX, and I
haven't dug deep enough to determine whether it's buried somewhere,
perhaps under a different name, or if it's just not in libOFX yet.

I'll probably take this further on the devel list, but if I do find a
solution, I'll post it here.  Otherwise, I suspect Chase is going to
lose several customers.