[Kmymoney] Reconcilling statement

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Dec 8 18:32:09 UTC 2015

On 2015.12.08 13:24, W. Harris wrote:
> I have been using KMymoney for two months now. When I go to reconcile
> my statement I have not been able to enter anything into the
> "starting balance of this statement" field. The field will not let me
> enter anything. I must be doing something wrong, but cannot figure it
> out.

William,

You are not  doing anything wrong.  The starting and ending balances on
the reconcile wizard should be treated as read only.  They indicate
what the program thinks.  If you have never reconciled that account, I
believe it will show $0.  If you have reconciled before, it should show
the previous ending balance.  The ending balance it shows is the
previous ending balance (total account adding all transactions marked
as Reconciled) plus all transactions marked as Cleared up to the date
of reconciliation.  You can continue to mark transactions as cleared
after you have started the reconciliation process, but I find it is
easier to get all transactions marked correctly before you start.  That
way, the ending balance it shows really should match the ending balance
on the statement against which you are reconciling.

Let us know if you still have problems.  The reconciliation process
becomes much more obvious once you recognize how it works, but until
then, it does seem to be confusing.  Once you have gotten through it,
if you have any suggestions for improving the description of the
process in the handbook, let us know.  I'll be glad to edit.  The
problem is that for those of us who have used KMM for many years, it's
just hard to remember how hard it was to get started.