[Kmymoney] Importing multi currency data from Quicken 2008

Krpasundarananda krpasundarananda at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 21:11:10 UTC 2014

Hello,

I am still trying to transit to KMM.

After giving up last year while still using Windows I thought I'll try
again now I am fully switched to Linux.

Last time I did a full import of all the accounts at once created but
this created many issues, so this time I thought to start simple and
import each ledger from Quicken separately. (This is also what you
adviced me to do last time: Create the whole account structure in KMM
before importing so currencies will be correct for each ledger.)

As a test I created two ledgers in KMM: 1) My Pesos and 2) My US. I set
the currency accordingly and used the conversion rate that I also used
in Quicken.

Now when importing the My US ledger from the Quicken account (using qif
format) it automatically created all the relevant additional ledgers in
KMM. This is really good as KMM also automatically matches transactions
when importing other ledgers. The only problem is that all were created
as US$ ledgers, unless I set them up in advance. Like when I tried last
year the currency information is greyed out and can't be changed after
the ledger is set up.

Even tough I pre-created the My Pesos and the My US ledgers with proper
currency, the transactions between these ledgers were not converted, ie
the same amounts as in the My US ledger was also entered in the My Pesos
ledger. The only way I found to correct it is to manually update all the
transactions.

(My actual account spans 12 years, has 70 ledgers in 10 different
currencies, that would be a lot of work to do manually)

1) Is there a way to have KMM ask what currency to use for each
automatically created ledger? Can this be added simply in case there is
no way right now? That would safe the effort of manually creating 70
ledgers.

2) Is there a way to have all the conversions done automatically when
importing ledgers? If KMM knows the currency of a ledger it should be
able to do that right? You could have the option to just use one rate
for all transactions or confirm amount/exchange rate for each
transaction (In case the exchange rates changes during the period that
is imported)

3) Can KMM match the transactions once (in this case) both My Pesos and
My US ledgers are imported. It already does this perfectly fine when the
ledgers are in same currency. When KMM does these matches or allows you
to do it manually then the actual exchange rate for each transaction is
clear as it has both USD and MXN values. (for me a fixed value for each
import would be fine as for my purpose I don't need to adjust the rates
unless they are really changing a lot)

I could imagine 3) would take some more time to implement but 1) and
also 2) seem simple.

Sincerely,
Dada Krpasundarananda

However there are a few issues:

1) Transfers between accounts are added twice when the original accounts
are in different currencies. So if I have a My US account and a My Pesos
account and the original transfer is USD10 --> MXN130 it would add an
entry for 10 and 130 in each account in KMM. Deleting the 130 entry from
the My US account and the 10 from the My Pesos account would correct it
but take a really long time as I have so many accounts and most in
different currencies.

2) All accounts are imported in the same base currency though the
original accounts are all in different currencies. How can I make sure
the new account is created in the correct currency, or change it after
the account is already created? The amounts are correct, just the
currency is wrong. If I try to edit the account afterwards the base
currency drop down box is greyed out. Is there a way to edit the kmy
file to change the accounts to their proper currencies?

3) It creates a separate account for each tag used in quicken. So what
is one account in Quicken, say "My US$" gets split in several accounts
according to the tags. My US/Balivisit, My US/triptoNY, etc etc

Thanks so much