[Kmymoney] Fwd: importing Quicken3 into KMyMoney 4.7.1

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Fri Nov 28 07:10:39 UTC 2014

Hi,

some information about Quicken import I received as PM and might be
interesting for others as well.

Regards

Thomas

Subject: importing Quicken3 into KMyMoney 4.7.1
Date: Wednesday 26 November 2014, 00:48:33
From: Faz
To: ipwizard at users.sourceforge.net

Hi Thomas

Been trying to import a couple decades of "Quicken3 for Windows" QIF
exported data into KMyMoney v4.7.1

Your help doc on
http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/online-manual/details.impexp.qifimp.html
is very useful.

You might be surprised how many people stayed with Quicken3 - it basically
did what I needed so I never upgraded.

Here's a tip that may be worth adding on that page:

Quicken3 spits out ^^ on a record separator line but KMyMoney is expecting
a single ^ .

I just use a Textpad regexp search / replace on the QIF file like this:

Search for: ^^^$
Replace with: ^

You could stick with awk as in the existing filter example. I guess it
would be a one liner like this:

/^^^$/ { print "^" }

(Not sure if the carets in the search expression need escaping though - I
don't have a linux box to try it with - sorry!)

In anycase I'll see how far I get and maybe I'll have more experience to
share with you on importing Quicken3 into KMyMoney 4.7.1!

The double ^^ issue was a major hurdle before I could get any progress with
imports.

Best wishes
Fazl

What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind.
 (Punch, 1855)