[Kmymoney] too many currencies same symbol as $

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sat Jan 4 18:16:09 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Saturday 04 January 2014 18:53:16 Michael Berger wrote:

> Hi Andy,
> I am using myself quite a number of different currencies.
>
> KMM knows both, a Symbol and an ID as well for each of its currencies,
> and despite the fact that a number of currencies use the same $ Symbol,
> each currency is clearly distinguished.
>
> My Asset and Liabilities Summary shows the ID for some (e.g. IDR, SFr)
> and the Symbol for others (e.g. EUR, $).
> Yet, I must admit I have not even noticed this two-lane practice until
> this moment.

If you take a look at Tools/Currencies you see that distinction right away.
Not for all, the symbol is known or available. So we stick with a copy of the
ISO 4217 code. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4217 for more details.

Entering a $ in the search field shows the problem.  Double-Clicking on the
symbol column opens the editor to change it. To save it, simply click on
another item. This way, you can get rid of the $ sign by simply entering the
ID again.

I agree, it's a somewhat hidden feature and I think even undocumented.

Hope that helps.

@Jack: do you have your notepad ready - here's another spot to be written
about.

Cheaper is more expensive -- thb