[Kmymoney] How to change value of investments

Bill Gee bgee at campercaver.net
Tue Dec 9 01:30:56 UTC 2014

Hi Jack and Allan -

Thank you both for your lengthy responses.  I think the light has dawned a bit
... and the answer is that a CD is NOT an investment!  Just for grins I tried
putting it in as a regular asset.  It is FAR easier to work with that way.  No
need to invent a brokerage account (whatever that is).

Yes, I read through the handbook on investments.  It was not very helpful.  I
think the main reason it did not help me is that I define an investment
differently from KMyMoney.  To my mind, an investment is something which is
expected to earn money over time.  KMM is far more specific than that,
restricting them to "stocks, bonds and mutual funds".

I tried looking in Tools-Prices for the item that KMM complains about.  Not
there.  I finally did find it.  It was a security within an equity.  I don't
know how it got there nor do I understand why equities and securities are not
exactly the same thing.  Nevertheless I was able to delete it, and now KMM
will save the file without complaining.

Those unexpected behaviors in KMM are really confusing.  Today I was trying to
put change-of-value transactions in for a 401k.  Even though the transaction
was supposed to increase the value, it did not.  Indeed, the resulting value
went down!!!  Must be that New Math...  I tried putting it in as a single
share with the total value and as a large number of shares with value $1.  The
resulting end value of the investment was not the same even though the
transaction value was identical.  Yikes ...

My goals are really pretty simple. I want to track my net worth and I want to
compare expenditures to budgets over the course of a year.  The first can be
done on a spreadsheet.  The second entails enough transaction detail to make a
spreadsheet unwieldy.

I think even for my various 401k plans it will work much better to set them up
as simple assets.  As far as I know, none of my 401k plans have a brokerage
account.  I am not able to write checks against their value and I have never
had to put anything "on deposit".  All of them came from various employers and
were funded by payroll deductions.  All the fancy fol-de-rol that goes along
with "Investments" is of no value to me.

Kind regards - Bill Gee