[Kmymoney] How to change value of investments

Bill Gee bgee at campercaver.net
Mon Dec 8 19:08:59 UTC 2014

Hello everyone - First post here.  I've been trying to get along with KMyMoney
for some months.  For checking and credit card accounts it is working
reasonably well.  However, I am totally unable to understand how investment
accounts work.  My frustration limit has finally been reached, hence I am
reaching out for some help.

Example:  I have a certificate of deposit with my credit union.  Every three
months they pay a dividend back into the value of the CD.  This is reported on
my monthly statements.

How do I add this dividend to the investment account?

I have been trying this method, which does not work.

1) Open the account ledger.
2) Create a new entry.
3) set Activity = Dividend
4) set Interest = Interest and put the amount paid in the field.
5) But there is no way to save this entry!  The Enter button remains gray.
AERGHHHHHH!

I tried changing the Activity to Reinvestment Dividend.  When I do that, it
wants to call it one of Bond, Stock or Option.  This is none of the above.
Double Argh!

Is there a tutorial for dummies on this?

I have another investment account for a 401k.  Every time I save the data file,
KMyMoney says that there is an issue with the data.  Specifically, it has no
opening price for the investment.  I cannot figure out how to either enter the
opening price or delete the investment.

I use KMyMoney version 4.6.6 on 64-bit Fedora 20.  This is the latest RPM from
the Fedora repositories, and NO, I am not going to compile from source to get
a later version.

Thanks - Bill Gee