[Kmymoney] Graceful SQL error handling

Phil Richardson ppslim+kmymoney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 08:06:36 UTC 2014

Absolutely.

I see it as two conditions on occasion. Yesterday as an example the
computer slept for the day.

When it woke up, it had a visible SQL error exception window, though I
cannot say for certain how long it took (though it was under 10 mins for
waking to checking).

When this exception occurred, it was due to the TCP connection having been
closed. It did not attempt to start a new one, didn't ask me for any other
info.

After acknowledging the error, I let it be for a few minutes (I'm a coffee
person and I needed on). On return, there was no error, but no other
prompts/actions.

Given past experience, I selected to exit from the file menu without taking
any other action. The application clearly was not in a happy mood to
proceed and Windows 7 did the whole "Looking for solution" dialogue due to
it closing unexpectedly.

I'll remember to grab some screenshots next time.

I highly suspect the crash / abort at the end was when the app was
attempting to perform the required SQL database updates, to mark the
session over. This is suspected due to the "Another users has this open"
when I started it again.

Typically though, I will return the machine from sleep (I do try to avoid
this), or change networks (I try to avoid, but not always possible) and
there will be no error. Again, experience tells me to exit the application.

Just clicking the close button (big windows red X in the top right) and it
wont do anything. Quite literally nothing, no exit, no error. I have to end
the process, or use Quid from the file menu.

So yes, something is not quite right.

Suggestions on what I can do to get more data on what actually is
happening, and I will be more than happy to collect.