[Kmymoney] Graceful SQL error handling

Phil Richardson ppslim+kmymoney at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 17:57:38 UTC 2014

So error handling seems to be something that needs a little improvement.

I use KMyMoney using MySQL. Both on windows as a client local to the
network it is on, as well as remotely over a VPN on Ubuntu (though only
very occasionally).

Windows being the primary client, I frequently have to swap between
wireless and wired networks, as well as seeing the machine sleep.

The network switch is not smooth (damn Dell for not providing a combined
network interface with shared MAC), so my IP will change during the
interface swap. Sleeping will also obviously potentially cause long periods
in which the TCP channel may close.

Overall, this leaves me with issues when I have KMyMoney open.

I may only occasionally get an exception window about the error, but near
always, I find KMyMoney still wants to try and use the closed MySQL
connection long after it is closed.

This can prompt the app to stall, not respond and otherwise act in an
unfriendly way until I can close it.

Is there not more that can be done during a SQL driver exception, such as
instantly close the application without any further attempts to use the
closed socket?