[Kmymoney] Issue while importing statement data from CSV file

Allan agander93 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 23:29:41 UTC 2014

On 13/04/14 20:25, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> CSV is almost always the worst format for an export to KMyMoney. In my experience, QFX is best, followed by OFX (may be nearly the same), followed by QIF.

I'm not sure about "....QFX is best, followed by OFX....".

OFX is the best, except if it not made available.  Since MS ceased
support for MSMoney, some banks no longer support it.  OFX, if it is
available, is best because it was designed for purpose, and it has an
appropriate spec.  Unfortunately, however, it is then a lottery as to
how well the institution follows the spec.  Also, I doubt that it
imports very well into spreadsheets.  The direct connect capability is
very good, if available.  We have at least one user who can't, so far,
get his files to import in a useful way.  So, I'm more inclined to think
of it as the least bad.

QIF is good, because of the wide support.  Sadly, its spec is very loose
and it comes in many different flavours.

Sometimes,CSV is all that is available.  Then, however, the user can
immediately see what he is going to receive and can adapt it to his own
requirements.  It also may be easily pre-processed, if necessary.  It
certainly beats manual entry.

Allan