[Kmymoney] Database Performance Issue

Joe W. Byers ecjbosu at aol.com
Mon Sep 30 12:16:14 UTC 2013

On 09/29/2013 11:08 PM, Brendan Coupe wrote:
> oe,
>
> I'm not a developer but I thought I'd share my experience on the off
> chance it will help you.
>
> I always run a very recent version of KMM that I compile from the git
> source so that's one difference (currently 4.6.90-blahblahblah).
>
> I have over 10,000 transactions.
>
> I do not use a SQL database. I use an XLM file that is encrypted. I'm
> wondering it if you have exported to XLM a if so do you still have the
> same performance problem?
>
> KMM was running very slowly for me. It was slow to start up and every
> time I clicked on the home tab after making any change it took a while
> to open the home screen. I'm not sure when this started but it was not
> a problem several years ago. I finally tried eliminating everything
> except the Assets and Liabilities Summary from the home screen and my
> problem was almost entirely eliminated. Apparently it takes a while to
> recalculate all of the data required if you have everything enabled on
> the home tab.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> *
> ----
> Brendan*
>

> On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Joe W. Byers <ecjbosu at aol.com
> <mailto:ecjbosu at aol.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 09/21/2013 10:02 AM, Joe W. Byers wrote:
>>     On 09/21/2013 09:52 AM, Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
>>>     Hello Joe,
>>>     4.10 is probably the version of KDE, certainly not the version of KMyMoney.
>>>     There should not be a significant degradation of performance, but
>>>     knowing the exact version would help us find alternatives.
>>>
>>>     We will probably require an anonymized file to work with. If you know
>>>     how to save in anonymized format, that will help. Otherwise, let us
>>>     know and we'll guide you through it.
>>>
>>>     Regards,
>>>     Alvaro

>>     Sorry about that, select the wrong About:
>>
>>     Kmymoney: Version 4.6.2
>>
>>     I have read about anomyzing, but not done it, so I will need some
>>     help.
>>
>>     I have over 13K transactions.
>>
>>     i have also created a working backup schema of my live data in
>>     the database.  I can create another test environment if needed.
>>
>>     Thanks
>>     Joe
>>
>>     PS is proper etiquette to reply at the bottom or top?
>>     --
>>     *Joe W. Byers*

>     I have generated a anonmized xml file.  What do I need to do to
>     test database performance?
>
>     Thanks
>     --
>     *Joe W. Byers*

Brendan,

I use the database and want to use the DB.  My performance issues are
the same that you see, slow to load, slow to move around, and slow to
move again after changes.  I will try you suggestion to remove things
from the home screen.

This sounds reasonable, because in my experience with other systems,
performance degrades as calculations added.

Thanks
Joe

--
*Joe W. Byers*