[Kmymoney] Question re: investment entries from a new user of KMyMoney

Allan agander93 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 22:53:19 UTC 2013

If I may but in?

Hi Jane

I would seriously consider upgrading to 4.6.x, for two reasons.  I
haven't seen any activity on this list for some while from anyone on
version 1.x.  You could be the only one!  In itself that's not too
important except if you need help in future, you are more likely to get
it from other users on the up-to-date version.

Secondly, although it may not be important to you, version 4.6 has a
plugin for imports of investment files.  I use Fidelity in the UK, which
produces CSV files for statements, which the plugin  handles.  Of
course, this might not be the case in the US.

Oh, I just caught you latest email and can see why you are where you
are.  By all means, have a look at Claydoh's PPA.  The snag might be
that being on 10.4 might reduce your scope for getting the latest
versions.  I've just checked and it looks like it would get you to
4.5.2, which wouldn't have the CSV plugin, unfortunately.

I know what you mean about the trauma of installing a new system, but it
is instead possible to upgrade instead so your personal data is
retained, although backup anyway.
Looking at this site -
http://www.unixmen.com/upgrade-ubuntu-13-04-raring-ubuntu-13-10-saucy-salamander/,
it may be possible for you to follow that path.  It doesn't look too
complicated, but I've never done it myself so ... May be better safe
than sorry.

Allan